Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Who you are is not what you did, you're still an innocent.

Times change. People change. Lives change. Like most life lessons, I've learned this the hard way. I used know this kid. Sweet, gentle, funny, and nice. Over the summer, he started using drugs. Since I moved, I haven't seen him in a while. But today when I went to my grandmother's house, I saw a paper on the couch and I opened it and I realized it was a police flyer with his picture on it saying that he burglarized one of my grandma's neighbors. I could not calm myself down. Of course, I cried. I couldn't help it. My Uncle said that he'd been trying to keep it away from me, but that didn't really help. When I spoke to my guidance counselor at school, he said that I should speak to my aunt about it. I don't know why but, I could not care less about what he did. If someone else robbed my grandmother's neighbor, I would hope that the police catch him. But since its someone I know and love, it's different. Before I never knew why people would help someone they know is a criminal. But now I know. It's because they love them. That is the only reason. Many people say "I would lie, cheat, and steal for you." But turn the tables: What if they lied?What if they cheated?What if they stole? Would you turn them in? If you honestly love someone, you'd be at a crossroads. I'm content with MYSELF when I say, that he's innocent. And he is innocent-to me. Drugs change people, and I have hope that the boy I love and admire is somewhere, deep in the crevices of a monster's heart. I listened to "Innocent" earlier after this first happened. I broke out crying. I also broke out crying when I told Kaitlin and Giselle. I chose my quote to come from "Innocent" because I still see him as an innocent. Most importantly, the song preaches about forgiveness. I forgive him for what he did. I hope the family he hurt forgives him as well.

1 comment: