Thursday, April 19, 2012

It's worth all that's lost...just to see you smile♥

     I think I have found my special someone. She's 2 feet tall, has six teeth, and is responsible for at least a dozen scratches and scrapes on my body. That person is my little sister. I don't think I've ever loved anybody as much as her. Yes, she's abusive and has a bad attitude sometimes but I wouldn't want to take back any of the precious time that I have spent with her. This is gonna be kinda long, so bear with me. I was 13 and in the seventh grade when I found out that my mom was pregnant. At first, my (and Kaitlin's) first thought was: People that age still do that? But after I got over the shock, another question came to my mind: What is it? Boy or Girl? Well, let's just say that when I found out, I cried like a baby. Not because I was happy, I cried because I was being de-throned. When you spend 13 years of your life getting everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) you wanted because you're the youngest and the only girl, what would you do in a situation like this?!?! But anyways, Grace was born on June 14th, 2010 weighing only 2 lbs, 2 oz. Yes, she was a preemie. She was born at 28 weeks gestation (full term gestation is considered 40 weeks). She spent the first two months of her life in the N.I.C.U. (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit). Everyday during the summer between eighth grade and freshman year, my mom and I drove 20 miles to the general hospital just to see my little sister. That's also when I decided that I wanted to become a neonatologist. I always wanted to become a doctor, but I was never sure what. After that experience of being in the NICU, I realized that I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. God, I can't see myself anywhere else. The strongest little creatures (cause the definitely look like it) I have ever seen were in the NICU. And I'm proud to say my little sister is one of them. When my mom was pregnant with Grace in the hospital, I was told not to keep my hopes up and she might not survive. Every day I spend with her is a blessing, whether or not I'm  playing with her and doing her nails, or she decides to slap me and take a piss on me (this has occurred 3 times). I don't think I've ever realized that I love my sister and I don't know where I'd be with out her.
     The song quote in the title is from "Just to See You Smile" by Tim McGraw. The song came up on Pandora and I immediately thought of Grace. Another song that makes me think of Grace is "Never Grow Up" by Taylor Swift.

No comments:

Post a Comment