Saturday, October 6, 2012

Because these things will change

     My aunt tells me that change is the one constant of life. Everyone and everything changes. In all honesty, I like the person I'm changing into. I trust no one, other than my mom whom I trust with all of my heart, I've learned that I can't force people into my life, people come and go, and most importantly, I stopped (for the most part) being so selfish. The last thing was probably the hardest since its so easy to say "Why does everything happen to me?" and its not easy to realize that not everything happening to you. I like the fact that slowly (but surely) I'm becoming more social and less shy, something I've been wanting for years. I like being with different people and hearing different stories than my usual friends. With that being said, I also love being alone and working independently. Because when push comes to shove, people will bail- "friends" will betray you. While I do accept (and ask for) help when its needed , I don't like using others as a crutch... Its just not how my mother raised me. That leads to my next subject- dating or courtship, which shouldn't really be a subject but I always have to put my two cents into everything. Its not that I don't want a guy, but its simply that I don't need a guy. People around you don't equate to happiness. Kurt Cobain was loved by millions but he still committed suicide. My grandmother always tells me not to let guys "whisper in my ear" (don't know why I set that off in quotes) and that I should wait. Since my grandmother has been right about everything, I've decided to listen to her before I get my heart broken or find myself alone, not in med school, and a mother. I think the vast majority of high school relationships are pointless. Not because I want all of them to fail, but (correct me if I'm wrong) because most of them don't seem to be worth the heartache and pain when break ups occur. I don't want to tell my daughters about the 50 men I dated before I met their father. I would rather just speak about 3 or 4 good relationships that led me to the right one.
     The only thing that hasn't changed is my final destination. I want to be either a neonatologist or a pediatric psychiatrist when I grow up. I seriously can't wait to graduate high school and just be done with all of the trifle little things and people. I haven't decided where I want to go (mostly honors med programs up north), but by God I know where I want to end up. Even though its considered normal to not know what your career path may be, I don't think there has ever been a day in my life where I didn't see myself becoming a MD. I know that the road is tough (and expensive) but I think I can manage.
     I used to despise change. Even though I've gone through things that I wouldn't wish on someone else, it has made me who I am. What doesn't kill you truly makes you stronger. And I wouldn't change that for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment